Friday 16 January 2015

Sweet Chilli 'Chicken' Stirfry

Hey guys!

I'm back with a new post :-) I hope you've all had a good week. As one of my new year's resolutions, I promised myself that I'd make an attempt to be more healthy and that involved cutting out meat from my diet and becoming a vegetarian. I've done veganism briefly and would love to get back to that, but I thought I'd cut out the meat from my diet (I don't really consume dairy as it is) and then transition when I'm ready. 

I've made some really tasty dishes and I thought I'd share one with you, which has all good ingredients and is super healthy! I made it with Quorn but if you're not vegetarian, you can replace it with any meat you'd like. If you are vegetarian/vegan and don't like Quorn or can't have it, you can also replace it with tofu.

For the dish, you will need:
- Quorn chicken pieces/chicken fillet
- Kale/Spinach
- Red and yellow bell peppers
- Courgettes (or any other vegetable you want to add)
- Wholegrain or white rice

For the sauce, you will need:
- 4 - 5 bell peppers
- 4 - 5 chilli peppers
- 1 tomato, seeds removed and chopped into small chunks
- 6 garlic cloves
- 350ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 450g sugar 
- Small knob of fresh root ginger (though I used ground and it
worked out exactly the same)
- A pinch of salt and pepper



  1. You'll start by making the sauce. Start by skinning the bell peppers. This can be done by heating the peppers in either a pan or under the grill. You don't have to skin them, but it does make it easier to blend and allows the sauce to run a little more smoothly. Once you have skinned them, chop them up into small cubes and place them in the blender.
  2. De-seed and dice the tomato and put it alongside the peppers and then move on to crush the garlic cloves. Add in the ginger and the salt and pepper and blend it all together until it's smooth in consistency. 
  3. Whilst you're doing this, dice up the remaining peppers and the courgettes for the stir fry. Unfortunately, I was out of courgettes so the dish this time was a little lacking but equally as tasty!
  4. Add your rice to a saucepan of boiling water and start to cook it through. 
  5. Start to heat the blended sauce in a saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients (white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and sugar). Bring to a rolling boil and cook until the sauce thickens (around 15-20 minutes).
  6. In a frying pan, add olive oil and start to cook the Quorn until they've defrosted and changed to a brown in colour. Add the vegetables you prepared to the pan and allow them to soften.
  7. Remove the sauce from the heat and add to your 'chicken' and vegetables. Keep stirring so that the sauce doesn't stick to the pan and covers it evenly.
  8. Remove from the heat and serve on a bed of rice and enjoy!

This was a super easy dish to make and is perfect if you're on a health kick or if you fancy something quick. Let me know if you want me to do anymore recipes. I'm really enjoying cooking meals that are filling and healthy at the same time!

What's your favourite dish to make? What are your plans for this weekend?

Over and out, Rachel x




3 comments:

  1. God damn! You're gonna turn me veggie again! Really like this idea of posting yummy veggie recipes, hopefully will motivate you to stick to it! I believe in youuuUUU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I come and visit, I will cook some yummy veggie dishes! Very cheap and very easy!

      Delete
    2. Love the sound of this! I'm a big fan of quorn too - its way cheaper than buying meat!

      Delete